Counselor-in-Training (Ages 12-17)
Didn’t get enough of Junior Naturalist Field Camp, but now your too old? No problem! If you are between the ages of 12-17 years old, you can sign up to be Counselor-in-Training (CIT) at our grade school summer camps. This free program includes one full day of CIT training and is a great way to gain experience while playing outside and connecting kids to the outdoors.
In Response to the COVID Pandemic: We have decided to make certain modifications to our summer camp programming with the goal of providing a memorable summer experience as safely as possible.
- Campers will be asked to maintain 6 ft. of social distancing when reasonable, wear face-masks, and hand-wash/sanitize frequently
- No shared food or communal eating spaces
- Families will be expected to self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms
- Daily temperature checks will be conducted by camp counselors
- We ask that parents please have conversations with their campers about social distancing, using the restroom outside, and the expectation of long(ish) periods of physical activity
12 – 17 year old
2021 Mandatory CIT Training
June 4, times TBD
2021 Camp Dates / Themes
Session 1: June 7 – June 11; Wildlife Neighbors
Session 2: June 14 – June 18; Water World
Session 3: June 21 – June 25; Predators and Prey
Session 4: July 12 – July 16; Biodiversity Blitz
Session 5: July 19 – July 23; Powerful Nature
Session 6: July 26 – July 30; Eco-Village – Living off the Land
Session 7: August 9 -August 13; Nature Detectives
Monday & Friday: San Juan National Forest land
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday: Durango Nature Center
Drop Off / Pick Up Location*
Fassbinder Park at corner of W 17th St and Main Street
Drop Off / Pick Up Time*
Monday – Thursday: 8:30-4:30
*Please note, drop off and pick up will only be available only if it is safe to operate the vans at full capacities.
Each child must be registered separately. After you enter child’s information, you will be able to choose which Junior Naturalist Field Camp sessions you’d like to be a CIT. You must complete the registration for the first child, including payment, before registering your second child. If you have registration questions, check out our Registration Flow Chart.
* Please note that if you have made this registration less than 48 hours in advance of the start of camp, your registration is not guaranteed until confirmed by staff. We need time to receive and process all of the camp forms mandated by Child Care License requirements.