Outdoor Recreation Updates
Sponsored by SJMA and Backcountry Experience
Stay informed about current conditions in southwest Colorado with up-to-date information on trail conditions, fire restrictions and the status of campgrounds and mountain roads. Help us keep the best updates by emailing email@example.com.
As of Saturday August 27, 2019
- Check out our Trail Conditions page for more information on specific trails. We will update this list as we receive more information of trail conditions. Help us out by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Forest Service Campgrounds
- Check out Campground Status for most up-to-date information.
- The San Juan National Forest Campground Guide shows you maps of each campgrounds for each forest district (Columbine, Dolores, Pagosa), along with some additional info.
- For all reservations, visit www.recreation.gov
Forest Service Roads
- Check out the San Juan National Forest Road Conditions to find out current road status. Please note, just because a road is listed as OPEN does not mean that it is drivable. Any road can be blocked by downed trees or snow at any time. You can be ticketed for road damage. The Forest Service and the Counties do not rescue stranded vehicles
Silverton Area Passes
- For more information, check out the Silverton Area Passes to find out current road status
- There are currently NO fire restrictions on San Juan National Forest Lands except in areas where permanent fire restrictions exist, such as the Needle Creek Drainage.
OHVs – Off Highway Vehicles
- Must have a Colorado State registration for use on public lands in Colorado.
- Registrations and permits are available online on the Colorado Parks and Wildlife page or at the following locations:
- Colorado Parks and Wildlife – 151 East 16th, Durango
- Fun Center: 346 S Camino del Rio, Durango
- Handlebars: 346 S. Camino del Rio, Durango
- Big 5 Sporting Goods: 400 S Camino del Rio, Durango
- Walmart – Durango, Cortez and Pagosa Springs
- Colorado State Parks, including Mancos and Navajo State Parks
- Bayfield Ranger District
- Pagosa Ranger District.
Firewood cutting permits
- On sale at the following locations: Forest Service offices in Durango, Bayfield, Dolores and Pagosa, Kroeger’s Hardware in Durango, Dolores Food Market, Conoco Corner in Lewis, Cox Conoco in Mancos.
- The BLM is issuing free firewood permits to help remove avalanche debris, call 970-387-9871 for more information.
If you have any questions regarding conditions on the San Juan National Forest, please call us (970) 247-4874, check out our web address at www.fs.usda.gov/sanjuan or stop by the San Juan National Forest Headquarters, Pagosa, Dolores or Bayfield District Offices. Open Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 4:30pm.