Grade School Summer Camps
SJMA is proud to continue the tradition of one of Durango Nature Studies most beloved and enriching summer camps in Durango. Junior Naturalist Field Camp is a place where elementary-aged children will spend time learning about the natural world. Campers may spend their day catching crawdads, building forts, hiking, exploring, or river tromping — which all focus on learning about the natural world.
In Response to the COVID Pandemic: We have decided to make certain modifications to our summer camp programming with the goal of providing a memorable summer experience as safely as possible.
- Campers will be asked to maintain 6 ft. of social distancing when reasonable, wear face-masks, and hand-wash/sanitize frequently
- No shared food or communal eating spaces
- Families will be expected to self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms
- Daily temperature checks will be conducted by camp counselors
- We ask that parents please have conversations with their campers about social distancing, using the restroom outside, and the expectation of long(ish) periods of physical activity
Rising 1-6 Grades
*A waiver is required for kids under the age of 7 and must be submitted by April 29. Contact Adriana Stimax for more info.
2021 Camp Dates
Session 1: June 7 – June 11; Wildlife Neighbors
Session 2: June 14 – June 18; Water World
Session 3: June 21 – June 25; Predators and Prey
Session 4: July 12 – July 16; Biodiversity Blitz
Session 5: July 19 – July 23; Powerful Nature
Session 6: July 26 – July 30; Eco-Village – Living off the Land
Session 7: August 9 -August 13; Nature Detectives
Max Number Participants
26 per camp
Drop Off / Pick Up Time*
8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Drop Off / Pick Up Location*
Fassbinder Park at corner of W 17th St and Main Street
*Please note, drop off and pick up will only be available only if it is safe to operate the vans at full capacities.
$300 per session with 10% discount for SJMA Members
If you are in need of financial assistance, please submit our Camp Scholarship Form.
Registration opens March 1, 2021
If you have registration questions, check out our Registration Flow Chart
* Please note that if you have made this registration less than 48 hours in advance of the start of camp, your registration is not guaranteed until confirmed by staff. We need time to receive and process all of the camp forms mandated by Child Care License requirements.