Interested in the outdoors? Tired of too much screen time? Need a breath of fresh air? Join our science educators every Friday to hike our public lands, learn about local ecosystems, engage in stewardship projects, and get experience for future careers in the field.
- Participants will be asked to maintain 6 ft. of social distancing when reasonable, wear face-masks, and hand-wash/sanitize frequently
- No shared food or communal eating spaces
- Families will be expected to self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms
- Daily temperature checks will be conducted by program counselors
- We will transport the participants to the trailheads each Friday but ask that they wear masks for the entire car ride. Parents can meet us at the trailheads if you would prefer to transport your child.
- We ask that parents please have conversations with their kids about social distancing, using the restroom outside, and the expectation of long(ish) periods of physical activity
Age Eligibility: 7-12 graders
Dates and Time: Fridays from 9:00am – 4:30pm
- Sept 18: Box Canyon and Overlook – Map Reading & Aquatic Ecosystems
- Sept 25: BLM – East Creek Trail Loop – Desert Ecology
- Oct 2: Ramparts Loop – Montane Ecosystems
- Oct 9: Boggy Draw – Fire Ecology & Management
- Oct 16: Lizard Head – Alpine Ecology
- Oct: 23: Stewardship at Chicken Creek
- Oct 30: BLM – West Creek Trail Loop – Geology
- Nov 6: Mesa Verde – Ancestral Puebloans
- Nov 13: Stewardship at Chicken Creek
- Nov 20: BLM – Sand Canyon – Ancestral Puebloans
Drop off and Pick up Location: Boyle Park Mancos, CO 81328.
Cost: Free to Montezuma youth, thanks to scholarships from our partners at Montezuma Inspire Coalition and GOCO.
Max Number of Participants: 13
Gear Giveaway: With attendance, participants can earn an Osprey backpack filled with goodies such as maps, guidebooks, water bottles, and more! This will be awarded based on a point system – we will give the bag with goodies to all participants who earn 100 points. Here’s how to earn points:
- Each educational Forest Friday is worth 10 points (must attend at least one of these)
- Each stewardship Forest Friday is worth 25 points
- Can’t make it to enough Forest Fridays? Participants can earn 5 points for any hike they do with proof (a selfie on the trail works just fine!)
Please Note: This camp will include strenuous activity and exposure to the elements. Participants should be prepared to spend the entire day outside. On some days we will hike distances up to 8 miles through alpine or desert terrain.